ARF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
11am - 3pm @ the ARFanage
Yappy Hour at The Bar
Petsmart (by Whole Foods)
11am - 2pm
Queens Fur a Cause Annual Dog Festival
10am - 2pm
Medal of Honor Park
Starting at 11am!
Thank you for considering joining ARF's Foster Program. Last year ARF saved over 700 animals, which would not have been possible without our wonderful foster families. Ultilizing foster homes helps ARF greatly expand the number of animals we can rescue. Plus, housing animals in a home environment better prepares them to be adopted!
As a foster family, we rely on you to provide care and affection for your foster animal, including socialization and healthy practices.
Here is a quick rundown of how our foster program works:
- All foster dogs are to be kept on a leash or inside a fence at all times.
- ARF covers all veterinary expenses that are approved by our medical team. You are required to contact email@example.com with any medical issues that may arise while you have your foster. We WILL NOT cover a visit to any vet that is not approved. We have contracts with local vets that give us a discount on fees and services. In case of an EMERGENCY, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in contact ASAP. Please put the word “EMERGENCY” in the subject line in this event.
- Heartworm prevention for your foster is due on the 1 st of every month and is provided by ARF. Prevention will be available for next month by the 25 th of the current month and will be available in the lobby of building 3. Don’t worry, we will send reminders!
- We ask that you evaluate your foster’s behavior, temperament and energy level. If any behavioral issues arise, please let us know so we can work on correcting them before your foster gets adopted.
- Foster parents need to bring their foster to at least one adoption event per month. These events get our pets a lot of exposure and are the fastest way to get your foster adopted. We will send out reminder emails so you can let us know if you plan to attend.
- We have a Facebook group for all of our foster parents where we will post reminders for events. You will be given a link to join after your foster application is submitted.
- As a foster parent, you are NOT permitted to place your foster pet for adoption or give the dog to anyone else. All interested parties must submit an application through our website and follow our normal adoption application screening. All applications must be approved, adoption fees collected and medical records turned over. Your foster pet will be listed on our website and Petfinder as available for adoption. We will set up a meeting time at the ARFanage for the interested party to meet the dog and go from there. An adoption counselor will work with you
every step of the adoption process and keep you informed.
- All pets in your home must be spayed and/or neutered. Before you bring a foster animal into your home, please be sure your own pets are up to date on their vaccinations – this is not only for the health of the foster animal, but for your own pet(s) as well.
Can I pick out which dog I would like to foster?
Absolutely! We want you to find the perfect fit for you, your family and any other pets you may have. We have many volunteers who are happy to work with you on this.
If I am unable to continue fostering, should I bring him back to ARF?
No. The ARFanage is always at capacity and it takes a lot of hard work to keep all the dogs happy, healthy and getting along with each other. We are happy to work your foster pet back in immediately but we need at least 24 hours notice to do so. Email email@example.com to arrange the return of your foster pet.
What happens when my foster dog gets an application?
Every application is pre-screened and approved or declined by an adoption counselor. If our team thinks your foster will be a good match, we will set up a meet and greet at the ARFanage with the potential adopters, an adoption counselor and you.
What if I decide to adopt the pet I am fostering?
Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements to finalize your adoption!
What is ARF’s adoption fee and what does it include?
Our adoption fee is $95 and it includes spay/neuter, all vaccinations, a heartworm test and microchip.
What if I need to board my foster pet?
With 48 hours notice, we can keep your foster short term at the ARFanage, free of charge! If you want to board them at your vet or another facility, we will be happy to provide you with a copy of the medical records in order for you to board your pet. Boarding will be at your own expense.
Please email the Foster Team at email@example.com for any and all questions you have about our foster program. Thank you for joining us!
You healed my body and you healed my heart.
You gave me what I needed, a fresh start.
When I cried, you were always there
with soft words, a kiss and a hug to share.